Summer is quickly approaching. This may mean a slower pace for you or maybe it’s about the same as the rest of the year. Maybe your church or community Bible study takes a break from offering a formal study during the summer months. In any case, we wanted to provide you with a number of different options to use this summer to dive into God’s Word.
Bible studies are designed to help you dig deeper into the Bible.
A topical study is written to help you learn more about a specific topic such as the image of God, church history, the story of Scripture, etc.
Book studies are simply that; reading a book to learn more about God. For example, None Like You by Jen Wilkin helps the reader understand 10 ways God is different from people and why that is a good thing.
Here are a few things to consider when planning your summer study:
Adapted from Colleen Searcy, Meet Me in the Bible
- Take time to reflect about your spring Bible study. What did God reveal about Himself as you read His Word? Write down two or three takeaways from your study that you don’t want to forget.
- Take time to rejoice in what was accomplished during your spring Bible study, whether you studied alone or with a group. Did God revive your soul, give you wisdom, enlighten your eyes, or warn you as you studied? Rejoice in this!
- Take time to pray. Ask God for wisdom as you plan. Ask Him if he wants you to try something new, then listen. Ask Him to bless your study. Ask him to reveal Himself.
- Take time to record your goals for your next study. Here are a few prompts to get you started:
- When your Bible study wraps up, what do you want the results to be?
- What excites you most when you visualize Bible study?
Suggestions are listed in order of time required for the study (from the least amount of time to the most involved study)
- Genesis: Vol. 1-Foundations of Grace by Our Daily Grace Company
- Esther: The Hidden Hand of God by Lydia Brownback
- With Us in the Wilderness by Lauren Chandler workbook and video (starting May 17th you can register to watch the videos for free)
- Grace in the Wilderness: 1 Peter by Our Daily Grace Company
- Steadfast: A Devotional Bible Study on the Book of James by Courtney Doctor
- Jude by Jackie Hill Perry
- Ten Words to Live By by Jen Wilkin