Thank you so much for volunteering to create a Loved Bible for Living in Liberty. This is part of a larger New Community Church Women’s Ministry summer service project to provide filled backpacks to be given to ladies who are rescued from human trafficking.
We wanted to provide you with some information about Living in Liberty from their website.
Living in Liberty works to combat human trafficking in Southwestern, PA by supporting survivors on the streets and in our safe home, and by providing community education about the realities of commercial sexual exploitation in our city. Our work is supported by our two Repurposed thrift stores, and is sustained by the efforts of over 100 faithful volunteers.Living in Liberty website
Getting Started Kick off Meeting:
We would like to add a Loved Bible to each backpack. We would not only like to provide for the women’s practical needs, but also to point them to Jesus, who is our only hope!
A “Loved Bible” is a Bible with Scriptures highlighted and short notes written in it that give an overview of the gospel and how the gospel is for all of life. The gospel saves us, sanctifies (grows) us, and sustains us (we never grow out of our need).
This is where you come in. You have agreed to love on Bibles for this outreach.
We will have a kick-off meeting to answer any questions about the Loved Bible project and to pick up supplies. The meeting will be held on June 5th between the church services from 10:15-10:45am in the first-floor meeting room (the classroom on the left in the back of the church).
Loving a Bible for this project:
- Prayer! Prayer will be vital during this project. Every time you work on your Bible, please take time to pray for the woman who will receive it.
- Pause: Take time to think through what you are including in this Bible. The woman receiving it has walked a difficult journey. Many women may have suffered severe trauma and abuse. It leads to crushed spirits, deep wounds, and feelings of hopelessness. Please be cautious about using religious platitudes even when they are Scripture – for example, we would recommend you skip Romans 8:28. I always remember when author Marissa Henley said in her book, “Cancer is painful no matter how convinced you are of God’s sovereignty.” Although these women are are not walking through cancer, the point of the quote is still the same. Pray for wisdom and discernment for each entry into this Loved Bible.
- Print the Getting Started Guide
- Print the Foundations Workbook
- Post-it notes
- A Bible (We recommend an NIV, ESV, or CSB Bible. This is a great one for this project: ESV Thinline or NIV Thinline. You can also look at the recommended Bibles on our website.
- Optional printables
**We will have kits available at the meeting on June 5th to help you get started. The cost for the Bible, a few starter supplies, a Workbook, and printables is $20.
Frequently Asked Questions about Completing a Loved Bible:
What do I include in a Loved Bible?
We’ve designed a Foundations Workbook to follow as you create a Loved Bible. The Foundations Workbook provides a baseline for you to highlight key passages, helping you focus on the essential truths of the Christian faith. It covers the questions of:
- What is the Bible?
- Who is Jesus?
- What is the Gospel?
- How does the Gospel save us, change us, and sustain us?
Include a few (or many!) of the recommended Scriptures and notes for each question. There are usually about 50 entries in total.
BONUS! You are being equipped as a disciple-maker as you go through this process. As you create a Loved Bible, you begin to rehearse and memorize the Scriptures and their meanings, helping you to grow as a disciple-maker. This process equips you for future opportunities to evangelize and disciple others in face-to-face relationships, while building a tool for you to use.
You may look at the workbook and think where do I even begin???
Every week starting June 12th, we will send you an email with a few examples, working through the entire workbook in 6 weeks. As believers, we know that the Bible is God’s Word! We want to help others grow to love His Word as well. We hope that by highlighting certain quotes and verses, God will use the Loved Bible to open eyes to who He is!
Finished the Foundations Workbook and looking for more? Here are some additional Scriptures/Resources that could be used:
- The Loved Bible Attributes Worksheet: When we read the Bible, we can learn the attributes of God. God tells us who He is and what He is like in the Bible. Every story, person, place, and event in the Bible is true and helps us learn who God is.
- The Loved Bible Suffering Worksheet: We’ve provided Scripture verses and quotes to communicate the theme that God is with those who suffer, and will not leave them during this difficult journey!
Drop off details:
- Loved Bibles should be completed by August 15th. During our service project on Monday, August 15th at 6:30 pm, we will meet to fill these backpacks with toiletries and other items. Additionally, a speaker will educate us about the realities of sexual exploitation and what Living in Liberty is doing to combat it. If you cannot attend the service event, drop off at the church office before August 11th or coordinate with Michelle Rice or Anne Marie Emswiler.